Not wanting to be a lawyer

Today I started attending a building law class.

By no means meant as an offense to the tutor, the class reminded me of why I didn't pursue my undergraduate law degree when I graduated 9 years ago...

I mean, we're a world away, in a different legal system, yet the lecture was... very much the same as what I remember most of them being in Estonia: dry, at times confusing, hippety-hopp from one legal concept to another.

It'll probably get better once we get into actual building law - at the moment we're covering basic topics such as rule of law, common law, history - but still, I'm glad I'm not doing it for, you know, a living.

Because if I did... Ehh.

Man I wouldn't want to be a lawyer.

PS. We got a delivery of swampwood (totara and rimu dug out of a swamp and dried) firewood.

The Kid looked at the pile and exclaimed, "Holy heck!" I said to him, like The Man had tried to teach him a day earlier, "Hey, maybe you could say golly gosh instead?" (Yeah, I know, it's a very... uhm... British saying, golly gosh, but The Man did it, so I was trying to show The Kid some consistency.)

The Kid frowned and replied, "Nah, that not good enough." And then looking at the pile again, "HOLY HECK!"

PPS. I just have to wait until The Girlie's gonna come out with expressions she's picked up from people around her. I'm gonna have a field day with her, I think!

1 comment:

  1. Sotsiaaltöö bakat õppides soovitati meile ka õigusteaduse loenguid. Ma nõustusin selle soovitusega, sest seaduseid on kasulik teada. Läksimegi siis väga entusiastlikult Sissejuhatus õigusteadusesse (mingi sissejuhatav aine oli, täpset nime ei mäleta) loengusse ja kui loengul vaheaeg tuli, siis läksime väga kiiresti minema ja enam tagasi ei vaadanud. See oli ikka üks jube loeng küll - ülimalt kuiv, hüplev ning "sissejuhatav" oli vist sinna loengu nimesse küll ilu pärast pandud.

    ReplyDelete