A LIM report

I don't think there will be many of you that will find this information interesting - but because I know that some of you will, then here it is.

A LIM report.

(Granted, it is a much shortened & edited version, for I am not that big of a fan of sharing everything about the house, but for the sake of showing what a LIM is, I think it'll do.)

So, a LIM report.

First of all, what is a LIM: LIM is an acronym for Land Information Memorandum and it is basically a document which shows everything a council has on record about any given property. To get access to a property's LIM, a person has to submit an application to the council in whose territory this property is located - you don't have to be the owner of the property, anyone can apply for it - and pay a fee. In our case we applied to the Invercargill City council and paid $250 so we could get access to the LIM of a house we want to buy.

LIM, depending on a property, can include very little or it can also include a lot. It shows:

* basic legal information, ie where it's located, who owns it, what's its legal status (it can be freehold in which case an owner has all the rights to it, or a lease on land in which case the person who owns the building is different from who owns the land etc), has it got any shared driveways or pipes with other properties etc
* rates (which is a New Zealand word for council tax) information: how much tax has to be paid each year, is there any tax owing etc
* land characteristics: is there any erosion, slippage, subsidence, hazardous contaminants etc on the land, how is it likely to respond to earthquakes (will there be liquefaction? What is soil like? etc), what are expected wind conditions like etc
* consents, notes, orders etc: have any resource consents or orders been issued (which would apply especially if someone was wanting to develop the property further and was wanting to know what has already been approved by the council) or have any significants consents been issued to surrounding properties (ie will there be a 2-storey garage built next door although currently there is a charming little cottage etc)
* works and services: maps and information as to where electrical, water and sewage lines run, and how deep, whether water is fluoridated etc
* building information: floor plan, basic architectural drawings of the house etc
* alcohol, health or noise licenses issued, both on the property itself and in its surrounding areas
* other relevant information deemed appropriate by the council, in our case for example how are regulations around wood burning ovens going to change etc

The LIM we got about our house was a 47-page PDF document, about 35 pages of which was actually about the house and land itself, and the rest was title pages, table of contents and other "general" stuff like that. About 10 pages were, I assume, doubled up due to someone's mistake.

It's quite heavy reading and to a person that has never read through legal paperwork or come across geotechnical maps, it can be quite a handful, though on the other hand it can be very fascinating, too.

A few sample pages (with identifying information crossed out, for obvious reasons):

Basic legal information

Land drawings

Seismic hazard amplification susceptibility of the whole region - how likely the soil is to amplify the movements of an earthquake, which, in a nutshell, soft gravely soils tend to do.

Seismic hazard liquefaction susceptibility - how likely the soil is to liquefy in the event of an earthquake (people of Christchurch would know! If you don't know what liquefaction is, google "liquefaction Christchurch" to see photos that will explain pretty darn well)

Standard air traffic approaches - I love the fact that most planes landing in Invercargill go STRAIGHT over the main children's playground in Queens park which both my children and I love. It's so cool to see planes so close overhead!

Built a long time ago the architectural drawings are impressive :)

Though most pages actually look like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment