Too tired and busy to write in much length, but I will take a moment to share this:
* Went to the medical centre this morning. Turns out, Invercargill has such a doctors shortage there is nowhere I can enrol our family. NOWHERE. Confused, I tried explaining, look, I have two preschoolers at home. What if they get ill? I was then told that for us to see a doctor, we would have to call the after hours service after 6 o'clock in the evenings and arrange someone to see us through that, hefty fees including and when I got back home, I just about cried. The idea that it should even be possible, for an ill preschooler to be seen by a doctor only through 1) ambulance or 2) an after hours service in the evenings, struck me as... F*ck. So, basically, our family is on a waiting list of the medical centre so that should they find a new doctor and the previous 4 pages of waiting list people get enrolled, we will be able to get a GP.
* And to add to the previous thought: now I have to hunt down how it would even work to get The Kid's various therapies forwarded on to Invercargill if there isn't a primary healthcare provider existing.
* And to think that for all the people I talked to prior to us moving here, not one mentioned this f*cked-up situation.
* Turns out, the house we're renting had damaged phone cables under the floor, so the first weekend we were here I spent quite a bit of time talking to various tech support people and then a technician came and crawled under the floorboards to fix the cable and long story short, now we have internet.
* Tried registering our dog through the council's website. Our address didn't work. So I have to go the council office, two kids in tow, to get our dog registered.
Basically, f*cked off and tired.