On playing lotto

"Are you playing lotto this Saturday?" a workmate asked and I shook my head. I don't play lotto. Never have - not since I was about 9 and mom gave me money to play Keno. After a while I'd learned that I had a much better chance buying ice cream with this money, rather than "wasting" it on lotto.

But I enquired from my workmate why he'd posed the question to begin with, and he said there was a 22 million jackpot up for grabs that week, and explained that he only ever played lotto on occasions like this, when there was A REALLY BIG sum of money up for grabs, because the $10 or so he'd spend on his ticket wasn't that big of a deal for having a chance to get really rich, really fast.

"Just imagine what you'd do!" he exclaimed.

"I know what I'd do," I answered. "I've known for a long time already."

I'd move to Wellington.
I'd buy a house.
The Man would stay home taking care of our kids.
And I would go to university and study architecture.
And then, as an architect, I would eventually learn to design schools, and various learning spaces. I find it fascinating, thinking about design and how it influences people who learn within those spaces.

It's a plan I came up with a while ago when someone on the radio had interviewed a family who'd won a lot of money on lotto and I'd amused myself by thinking what I would do, if I were in their situation. And it was really fun, actually, to think about it that way.

A while later when the topic came up between me and The Man, he asked what was keeping me from studying architecture without lotto. I'd explained that in New Zealand, there were no institutions teaching architecture on the south, less populated island where I live, and I wasn't willing to move to Wellington for 5 years whilst we were functioning as a small, single-income family where kids were that age where they needed the most parental support and encouragement they could get. It would cost us a lot of money and it'd take a lot of effort to get me through architecture school, if we did, indeed, do it without winning lotto. The dream wasn't good enough to be worth all the trouble I'd have to go through, in order to get there.

The Man thought about it for a while and said that the house - the one in Wellington - better had a workshop then so he could do woodwork in his spare time :)

And I've actually really enjoyed the experience of "living it out" in my head that way, just imagining what it'd be if it did really happen. But I also understand that I am probably enjoying playing with the idea that way only because I am happy with what I am doing instead.

I am happy with the idea of us moving to Invercargill next year and me starting studying quantity surveying in 2018. I don't feel a pang of sadness over toying with the idea of Wellington because I am not needing it, and instead, it's just a pleasant way of self-amusing.

2 comments:

  1. Yup, Lotto is a nice dream but our dreams change as we do as well. My original lotto dream involved a country life with lots of land. Now it involves us staying here, changing some things on the property (like sealing the shared drive, redoing the bathroom, newer car) and helping friends who are in tough places and my guild as well. I think when I was young I was incredibly selfish, now I look at what I can do to help which is not much but important none the less.
    There are still things I'd buy and we'd probably travel a wee bit, but in general I'm happy where we are and grateful for what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mina olen ka mõni kord mõelnud, mida oleksin võidetud rahaga teinud, kuid alati olen jõudnud tulemini, et oleksin jaganud oma laste vahel ära!

    ReplyDelete