On real estate sales ads

Yes, it's a pet peeve of mine when real estate agents are the only ones consistently ignoring a "No circulars" sign on my letterbox, because why is it that everyone else respects the "No circulars" sign, but real estate agents keep popping ads into my letterbox about how "fierce bidding resulted in another great sale for my neighbor"?

I may have come across a tad passive-aggressive when I e-mailed about it yesterday but... come on, guys. (Personal details replaced with ***.)

Me: 
***,
If a residential mailbox has a sign "No circulars" then circulars includes real estate ads, so please ask your mailing staff to respect that.
Thank you.
Maria


Real estate agent:
H Maria,
Thank you for taking the time to email me.
I apologise for any disrespect caused you.
I so often get told by people in the neighbourhood that they enjoy being kept up to date with what properties are on the market and selling around them but I certainly don’t want to intrude where it is not welcome.
What is your address? I will make sure my delivery people are extra vigilant in not delivering real estate news to you in future.
Kind regards,
***


Me: 
Hi ***,
People who enjoy getting unsolicited mail don't usually put "No circulars" signs on their letterboxes, so you are welcome to drop your ads into theirs, no problem.
Also, Marketing Association has introduced a National ‘Voluntary Code of Practice’ to encourage the responsible delivery of advertising material by ensuring that letterboxes with ‘No Junk Mail’ (or similar) stickers are observed. People who receive unsolicited mail despite these stickers are encouraged to inform the Marketing Association to complain about non-compliance with their code.

Maria

Real estate agent:
Thanks for your reply Maria, I will pass it on to those who deal with delivery.
You are welcome to supply your address and I will make particular note that it be avoided.
Kind regards,


Me: 
***,
That's not the point. A resident should not be contacting each company separately to request circulars to not be delivered - that's what the mailbox signage is for. One sign on the mailbox, applying to ALL marketing materials. You may be very passionate about selling your real estate and thinking that people want your ads, but it doesn't make you exempt, which is why no, I will not be supplying you with my address.
Thanks.

Maria

PS. Just out of interest, do any of you happen to be people that this real estate agent is referring to, who "enjoy being kept up to date with that properties are on the market and selling around them"?

I'm not. I can already see what's selling for how much. It's called THE INTERNET.

Rant over.

1 comment:

  1. I don't care what the neighbourhood houses are selling for even though we do own our home (well, most of it). Any marketing material from them gets binned, but we don't have a no-circulars sign so they are allowed to deliver to us.

    ReplyDelete