On the beauty of English language

It just occurred to me today that both culture and technology can be simply described as "a way of doing things".

And talking of definitions and the beauty of English language: this pin made me laugh out loud the other day. I'd already known of many other... shall I say, quirky moments of English language, but it hadn't occurred to me that there are actually words out there which have two opposite meanings! Like, a word "chuffed".

1. chuffed
adjective, British Informal.
delighted; pleased; satisfied.

2. chuffed
adjective, British Informal.
annoyed; displeased; disgruntled.

Or another example: "non-plussed"

1. non-plussed 
adjective
surprised and confused so much that they are unsure how to react

2. non-plussed
adjective
not disconcerted; unperturbed

I think it's very fitting what one of the Reddit users said: "I'm glad English is my first language because if I had to learn it as a second language I'd jump off a bridge."

Okay, so it's not that bad, but it's still fitting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment