Pencils that are fit for children

Just putting it out there in case someone may benefit from this information:

have you ever come across Faber-Castell's triangular-shaped colouring pencils? The ones that have plastic dots which aid gripping? On the internet they look like this...


...but on my bookshelf they look like this.


The reason I'm writing about it is that I've come to understand how important it can be when kids have craft tools which fit their hands well.

The Kid loves to do colouring. He's done it for a long time already and I have watched with glee at how his skills have developed, to a point where he is now able to hold and use the pencils with about the same skill level as - and I hope it doesn't offend anyone - as... The Man sometimes. The Kid on a good day, The Man on a bad day.

Like this:



And I may be overshooting here, but I have a feeling that part of his colouring excitement has come from the fact that all along he's been able to use the Faber-Castell's colour grip pencils, and initially I had actually bought them for... myself.

Because it was five years ago that I had bought them, then I don't remember how much they cost exactly - but I do remember that it was significantly more than the other, "usual" pencils on the shelf. Fortunately though I had been given a gift card to spend, so I kind of just went, "Come on, Maria, treat yourself."

And I did.

And I now watch my kids use those pencils and think that when they wear all the way down, I am going to buy another set of these same Faber-Castell's, regardless of their price.

Because here's the thing: for one, they're triangular. Triangular pens and pencils are way easier to hold in one's hand than circular ones, and I've now even started using triangular pens for writing (Staedtler Triplus Fineliner).

Secondly, the plastic grip dots keep the pencils from slipping. Like, so it actually works, too!

And third, the colours are bright. Smooth and bright.

***

I've watched The Kid enjoy colouring partially because I know how important such fine-motor skill is, and how good it is for him to enjoy doing something like that - how every time he does drawing and colouring, it lays the foundation for all sorts of things that follow. And patience! And perseverance! And focus!

And so I've sometimes wondered if other parents out there know about pencils which fit children's hands well.

I've heard about a company in Britain which makes small, children's size pencils fit especially for toddlers and preschoolers (it was started by a dad who watched for years how his own kids struggled to hold adult-sized pencils he had at home), but those pencils are circular and after watching my own kids use these triangular-shaped pencils from Faber-Castell, I've wondered if... it even matters that much, circumreference-wise, what size the pencils are, as long as they're triangular.

But let me know what you think.

I'm just letting you know my kids way prefer these Faber-Castell's over anything else we've got available at our own house!

4 comments:

  1. Väga korrektselt värvitud! Ilma Sinu abita?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love how the wheels are rainbow coloured. Seriously, he has a special gift with colouring.

    I totally agree with you about triangle pens and pencils. I have a small set of these pencils in watercolours. My other favourite pencils are the older Faber Castell hexagon shaped, water colour pencils.

    Idea: I would love to see what the Kid would do with watercolour pencils!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love how the wheels are rainbow coloured. Seriously, he has a special gift with colouring.

    I totally agree with you about triangle pens and pencils. I have a small set of these pencils in watercolours. My other favourite pencils are the older Faber Castell hexagon shaped, water colour pencils.

    Idea: I would love to see what the Kid would do with watercolour pencils!!!

    ReplyDelete