On different cultures and family sizes

A workmate of mine is a young girl from Samoa. Her family relocated to New Zealand when she was 9, so being 19 years old now she still considers and calls herself Samoan, rather than a Kiwi - from New Zealand.

But I digress.

The reason I'm writing about her is that when I mentioned to her that I have one sibling - an older brother - she asked, "Only one?" Yes, I answered, but why? How many do you have?

Nine. She comes from a family of ten children.

And where it got even more interesting is the fact that her mom comes from a family of thirteen children (!) and each of her mom's siblings also has at least ten children, so this 19-year-old girl from Samoa has over 130 cousins. And that's on her mother's side of family alone!

On my mother's side of family, there are six of us - six cousins. This girl, on the other hand, has over 130 of them.

One. Hundred. And. Thirty.

4 comments:

  1. I don't have any cousins. :) Two, partly three, generations of only children. No wonder our government is worried... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hea, et niigi läks, kõikidel on lapsed, ei ole tähtis, kui palju. Sugupuu on täiesti olemas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're a no cousin family here, mum was an only child and dad's sister died when she was 6 years old. My husband on the other hand comes from a clan of people, quite an adjustment for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ei tahaks neid suguvõsakokkutulekuid korraldada... :D

    ReplyDelete