Hydrated much?

It is kind of bizarre and I will need to continue doing it for much longer before I can say with much confidence that it has worked, but...

I've managed to avoid seizures this month. And with not much else than drinking copious, copious amounts of water.

:S

***

Since about three years ago I've been having little, what they call simple partial seizures, and very rarely big ones, the tonic clonic kind. It's taken a really long time to even know exactly what they are and I've been very blessed to live in a country where I've had access to good medical care and now that it's identified as epilepsy, to support networks.

But it's still been unsettling; not least because a few months ago I was finally prescribed medication for controlling it and... I still haven't picked the pills up from the pharmacy.

Because the leaflet for this drug started with:

"A very bad skin reaction may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes. Most cases of skin reactions have happened within 2 to 8 weeks of starting this drug, but some show up after longer treatment like 6 months."

I showed the paperwork to The Man and he went, "What!? They want you to take this!?"

I know, every drug has side effects, but looking through the list of potential allergic reactions this drug has, I've had to honestly look at my situation and ask myself, would I take a chance of this drug making me feel better against the chance that this drug may hurt me like that?

And I haven't been comfortable about this question; the list of potential side effects has been just too... gnarly.

Which is why I have continued tinkering with little, harmless things instead to see if they'll make a difference.

Taking daily zink supplements to make sure I haven't got excess copper.
Sleeping well.
Topping up on iron.
Eating well.
Exercising - as in, strong aerobic exercising.

But nothing has seemed to make much difference except, the moment I tried - just for the heck of it - what would happen if I increased my water intake dramatically, I haven't had any seizures since.

And I'm, like, huh?

And I mean, copious amounts of water. I was probably doing around 2 litres + food intake anyway, but I am now doing over 3 litres + food intake and though I do get rather irritable when I have to get up during the night because my bladder is full again, if it means no more seizures, I think I can live with that.

I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing, when your eyes are open for it, how many people are fighting health battles and doing so with bravery. I wish you luck, and I'm thinking of you.

    I wanted to say thank you expressly for the comment you left on the wilder coast. The Krakauer comment is so apropos it's crazy. I just said to Dave yesterday, "I find that I'm so much happier when I go through the day with the attitude that life/universe owe me nothing. That I deserve nothing. Anything good that I have (which is a lot) is bonus, and anything good that I want, I must work for. That way, I don't feel let down, disappointed or resentful. Thanks for the reminder and for all your wonderful comments, I love them all Maria!

    ReplyDelete