On alert dogs and drugs

I dare you to not cry or at least feel like you're about to.

http://dooce.com/2015/07/15/learn-how-your-dog-learns/

***

Reading about this lady who trains diabetic alert dogs, it reminded me of epilepsy alert dogs - those exist, too. They can sense an oncoming seizure and alert the person so they can get out of harms way: out of traffic, off the stairs, away from subway tracks. I know people with epilepsy who've been able, for the first time in their lives, live independently because of those service dogs - able to walk to the shop across the street without worrying about having a seizure in the middle of the road and being struck by a truck. Or something.

My epilepsy isn't that bad. I do get seizures, but mostly they are small, partial seizures which allow me to stay conscious. I do stay away from my car on days when seizures happen (they bunch up into one- or two-day periods) and try to take it easy and be careful, but apart from that there's not much I can do. I've only ever had proper, big seizures during sleep, in which case all I know is that I wake up with a mighty headache and start vomiting soon after, but I have no recollection of the seizure itself - only The Man does, as he's the one who has to witness the thing...

When I was pregnant me and my neurologist made a deal that we'll wait until I'm done being pregnant and breastfeeding before he prescribes me some medicine. Neither of us thought it's worth getting The Girlie affected by those drugs.

But now, a few weeks ago, he finally gave me the information leaflets for drugs he'd like me to take, and right in the beginning of the very first page, it started with:

"A very bad skin reaction may happen. It can cause very bad health problems that may not go away, and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have signs like red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin (with or without fever); red or irritated eyes; or sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes. Most cases of skin reactions have happened within 2 to 8 weeks of starting this drug, but some show up after longer treatment like 6 months."

Uhm... yeah.

More decisions. I am tired of making decisions.

1 comment:

  1. That doesn't sound like nice side effects at all, eek!

    ReplyDelete