6.2 near Kaikoura

A loooooooong, wide-waved earthquake rolls our house and I look at the book case swinging back and forth, back and forth, and I think, "Oh no, somebody's having a big one."

6.2 near Kaikoura.

It's that... long wave of it that makes me so unsettled. When an earthquake comes, tadum!-tadum!-tadum!, then although dishes rattle and it is generally much louder in the house, I also know that what is happening is quite nearby, and so it is probably not a big deal.

But when it comes like a big swinging ship, whoooompa-whoooooompa-whoooompa, and I see our book case swinging back and forth (anchoring it to the wall has been on the to-do list for two months!) but dishes hardly rattle at all, I know that it is coming from afar - and whoever is there, "afar", is probably not having such a whale of a time..

It went on for about half a minute. 

Half a minute is a heck of a long time when it's an earthquake...

2 comments:

  1. Eile ├Áhtul peale meie suhtlemist? Kole-kole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally missed the whole thing, but generally the rollers are also deeper as well as further away. I prefer them since that depth tends to reduce damage at the epicentre.

    ReplyDelete